Sunday, May 26, 2013

The Cure All

When I feel tired or stressed or overwhelmed, the first place I go after getting a hug from Chad is to my basement. My candle stash is down there. If I want to return to childhood I take a big whiff of Evergreen or Winter or Gingerbread, and suddenly I'm back at home listening to my dad's Christmas stories. If I need to feel safe and cozy I smell Caramel Praline or Pumpkin Spice to remind me of a cool Fall day when I'm all bundled up in a warm sweater with a fire in the fireplace. If I need to feel freedom and fresh air, I inhale Beach Walk or Storm Watch to transport me to the coast of Oregon or the shores of Castaway Cay in the Bahamas. I love the simplicity of time travel through sensory means.  Though I'd rather just jump on a ship and head to the Bahamas, my candle craze saves Chad lots of time and money in the long run. At least I keep trying to convince him of that.
 

My family teases me mercilessly when they find me on the floor in front of my candle shelf taking big hits of the scents that comfort me. Then I make them sit down with me and everything changes. Soon we're all down there sniffing to our hearts content.
 

I have become an internet shopper over the past few years because I have become increasingly wary of crowds and also because I LOVE hearing the UPS truck stopping in front of my house! When it comes to buying candles I can shop with the best of the internet shoppers. But there are times when I have to hit the store just for the sheer satisfaction of smelling all the glorious things that a person can capture in a candle.  Memories and comfort are my favorites, but start smelling and you can be your own judge.

Some of my favorite sites to look at...












 








No comments:

Post a Comment