Monday, May 20, 2013

Music Speaks to Me

I've been sitting in the kitchen with my 14 year old daughter, Meghan. She found an awesome website with lots of amazing music on it. We've been reveling in Disney, Imagine Dragons, Kelly Clarkson, and some great 80's music. I am enjoying myself immensely. Part of that is due to the simple delight of being with Meghan, and the other part is that I love music. It speaks to me.

I grew up with some talented sisters who were musically inclined. I was always jealous. I tried singing for awhile but was only mediocre~my enthusiasm for music did nothing to improve the sound of my voice. I was dragged to more concerts and performances than any child should have to put up with, but as I look back I am saddened and even ashamed that I didn't realize the magic I was being exposed to. Of course as a teenager I found myself identifying with all kinds of music and loved everything from the sappiest love song to the rowdiest headbanger song to the weirdest "new wave" song. Anything I was feeling I could find a song to go with it.

And we all know how I feel about Christmas music. Anytime. Anywhere. Except Halloween.

Now as an adult I find myself more emotionally involved in music than ever. It makes me laugh. It makes me cry. It feeds my soul. It clarifies my thoughts. It bonds me to the people I care about. It connects me to Heaven.  I think music is a forever thing. I kind of like that idea.


No comments:

Post a Comment