Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Save or Share

My entire life I've been taught to be frugal and save for a rainy day. I have embraced those ideas and am a couponer, a saver, a baragin finder and at times a hoarder. I love having pretty much anything I need in a reserve somewhere in my house (yes, I have been known to stash candles under my bed as well as in the basement!) I also LOVE a good sale, a good deal and especially clearance-with a coupon! I believe in being self-reliant and having things in store for those times when life is not as fruitful as we're used to-which has been rare.  Blessedly, I have never gone without anything I needed, growing up, or as an adult. I have always had everything I need and most of what I want. I realize I have more than most of the world. I am so grateful!
Some of my candles. Yes, Chad knows about these.


Because I have been given much, and because I grew up with some of the most generous human beings on earth, I have a desire to share. Actually I have a NEED to share. It's almost compulsive. I've been told I give too much. I've been told, "You don't have to do that. You don't have to give me that."  I'll tell you a secret. That's what makes it so fun!
My Bath and Body Works lotions. I love to give these away as gifts!
One of my earliest memorable stories about my dad is about him needing a new coat and finding the perfect one. Shortly after purchasing the coat, he was driving down the freeway in El Paso and saw a man shivering on the side of the road. My dad pulled over, took off his new coat and gave it to this man, then drove home. Generosity at its best! My parents gave to others my whole life and didn't just talk the talk, but walked the walk! I hope I have learned adequately from their example.

So now it's kind of fun when someone says to me, "Are you sure you don't want to save that? Do you really want to give it away?" to be able to say "Yes. I want you to have it." Sure I feel that saving and being self-sustaining is important, and I make a habit of it. But I also feel knowing someone is using or enjoying something they want or need is very rewarding. I love it. Sharing is an amazing feeling. Watching something sit on a shelf is not nearly as exciting. There's a season for saving and season for sharing. I like both!
Some of my food storage.

No comments:

Post a Comment