Monday, October 28, 2013

Wonder

I'm on a little bit of a "Life is Great" high right now. I want to continually feel that way but I realize that life is full of ups and downs, and while it is ALWAYS good, it is sometimes hard. At any rate, I got to go see Imagine Dragons with my family last Friday night and that was awesome!

Me, Cassie and Meghan

Chad and me-still as mushy as ever
If you want a feel good, happy message, upbeat concert, this was the one to go to. I've always said I like 80's music the best and I'm quite sure it has something to do with the fact that I did the bulk of my growing up during this era, but I always thought the music in the 80's had a (for the most part) happy feeling to it. Alternative 80's is my absolute favorite. Imagine Dragons is reminiscent of this era and makes me feel like I'm back in Salt Lake City dancing at The Bay. I love it. I think the concert was the most fun for Meghan and I to experience, as we listen to Imagine Dragons the most around here, but it was well worth the money for all of us to go. It doesn't hurt that I saw many friends there as well as a large number of my high school counterparts!
We no longer bring lighters to concerts-we bring our phones!
 
 
Another reason I am feeling like the world is a good place is because I just finished a great book that a friend of mine recommended. It is called WONDER by R.J.Palacio. It is a book that renews my faith in the human spirit and helps me remember to goodness that is in all of us if we let it shine. I wish it was required reading every year for children from the age of 8 on up through adulthood. It was a good reminder of how to treat others and how the will to overcome obstacles can rise out of each of us. Here is the synopsis from Random House  http://www.randomhouse.com/book/208913/wonder-by-r-j-palacio

"August Pullman was born with a facial deformity that, up until now, has prevented him from going to a mainstream school. Starting 5th grade at Beecher Prep, he wants nothing more than to be treated as an ordinary kid—but his new classmates can’t get past Auggie’s extraordinary face. WONDER, now a #1 New York Times bestseller and included on the Texas Bluebonnet Award master list, begins from Auggie’s point of view, but soon switches to include his classmates, his sister, her boyfriend, and others. These perspectives converge in a portrait of one community’s struggle with empathy, compassion, and acceptance."

I highly recommend it to everyone. It 's a great read with great lessons.

Oh-and one more thing....... "I'm never changing who I am!"

No comments:

Post a Comment