Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Fences and Walls

I've been thinking this week about opportunities. Every day is so full of them. Chances to learn, situations to show kindness in, instances to grow from. People to meet, fears to conquer, tasks to complete, reasons to show strength, pasts to confront, opportunities to stand up for something. There are dozens of ways to experience opportunity. Or reject it.

Thinking of opportunities got me to wondering how many of them I have passed by. Not ones that have passed me by, but ones I have let go.  Have you ever said about a situation, "Oh I didn't get the chance to...." or "Well, the opportunity didn't arrive for me to....." I wonder how many of those did not happen because of my fears. Or because of the fences and walls I put up to protect myself and my life. I wonder...

Granted, there are times we need to let those chances pass us by. Some are dangerous. Some are plainly unnecessary.  It's easy to become overwhelmed and inundated by life. All the things there are to do. Some opportunities I feel like I am just better off without; like, say...skydiving. I do not feel the need to do that. Ever. But I'm always grateful I took the glorious opportunity of rappelling down the walls of the Grand Canyon. It was exhilarating!  And as we're all individuals, those chances need to be weighed by each of us. I hope I can be wise. And inspired.

I know I won't take very opportunity that comes my way. I realize I will pass by some things that would have benefited me greatly. Some will just have wasted my time. Some will teach me lessons. Hopefully I will only have to learn them once. But I hope I learn enough to take the chances that really matter. The ones that are offered to me in love and sincerity. The ones from the people I love and trust, and the ones that God offers me in His grace. Maybe I'll be more aware of what I'm offered. And maybe that will give me insight into what is offered. Its definitely got me thinking!


Look what taking the good opportunities has brought me.....


Family, new friends, new places, memories galore
True love, adventure, great surroundings
                                                                    

                                                 
                          Safety in knowledge, a friend in Christ, a testimony, and a foundation to build upon

No comments:

Post a Comment