Saturday, March 29, 2014

Positive ID

I am a people pleaser. I'm pretty sure I was born this way. There are times this is a hindrance to me. But for the most part I feel like being a people pleaser is kind of like being a builder~a bucket filler of sorts. And I would rather be a builder than a destroyer.

The world is full of under-appreciated people. I'd say most of us are not appreciated as much as we should be. Sadly, that's how life is-we don't get a pat on the back for every single thing we do. Much of what humans accomplish in a lifetime are thankless tasks and responsibilities necessary to get through each day. This is why the words "thank you" are so important in our world. When a sincere thanks is rendered, the will to continue those menial tasks is renewed.

In any given day that I'm at work, I will hand out a dozen band-aids, open a hundred little milks, tie 10 pairs of shoes, read with 15 or more children, copy a thousand papers, and wipe up spills  of applesauce, milk, Gogurt, spaghetti, and a number of other concoctions. I will cut, paste, grade, spell words with kindergartners, put together lesson plans, organize, comfort, and cheer. These are just some of my little chores, and I really do not mind them. I think that all the little thank yous and hugs I receive in a day contribute to me not minding those duties I perform.

My point is that the smallest gesture of thanks and appreciation is what makes me go on, even on the days I am tired and wondering if I can really clean up one more mess that I didn't make. Receiving that 2 second acknowledgement gives me the energy to do more. Having the positive pointed out and recognized changes everything and in reality I think it can change the world. Little acts of kindness have the biggest impact if we just take those few seconds to do them.
 

 

1 comment:

  1. Heather, PLEASE publish your blog into a real book. I KNOW it would be a best seller and would bless the lives of everyone who reads it, SERIOUSLY.

    ReplyDelete