Monday, February 2, 2015

Let There Be Light

One of my favorite movies is Rise of the Guardians. It is a movie about a group of mythical beings who are called to protect the dreams,  innocence and beliefs of children.  Each of these beings has a center,  or gift  that helps them to fulfill the charge they are given to be guardians. Though I am always extremely hesitant to point out any gifts I see  in myself,  I do acknowledge I have  a few qualities that I hope help me to be a guardian of sorts. There is a certain point in the movie where Santa Claus asks a "new" guardian what his center (or gift) is. I turned to my husband Chad and asked him what mine is. With no hesitation whatsoever,  he said, "Light." His answer thrilled and humbled me. I want to see light,  I want to give  light,  I want to find light,  I want to BE light. There have been many times that Chad's answer has rescued me from feelings of self doubt and worthlessness. I'm so grateful he sees the good in me!
Rise of the Guardians
If light is truly my center, part of my gift is that I have always been able to see it in others. Though I have a hard time seeing it in myself, it is ALWAYS apparent to me in everyone else. I have always wished people could see themselves as I do. The world would be a different place if we could see the goodness in ourselves through another's eyes.

Last week I had an exhilarating opportunity to meet someone who I have long admired. For the most part,  I am not impressed by fame.  I am happy for people who can achieve fame if that is their desire, but  my feeling is that we are all humans and are all worth the same.  I do not feel that anyone is better than anyone else,  especially because of material gain,  or because of more exposure to the world.  So fame is not important  to me but I was beyond excited to meet this man, who is an international star (Matt Smith, the 11th Doctor in Doctor Who). He had also been on my bucket list of people to meet. I loved having that opportunity!
Matt Smith-the 11th Doctor Who

On the way home as I was coming down from the adrenaline rush that had gotten me through the week,  I was contemplating why this experience was so wonderful for me. If fame means nothing to me, what was the draw? In an instant, I knew. I wanted to meet Matt because I see his light. I can feel his spirit. I've felt it through the television for years, and I have always known the kind of man he must be. I was right. I could feel the light coming from him before we even walked behind the curtain to be greeted with his kind, generous spirit and his warm hugs. Even though we got less than 2 minutes with him, our souls were warmed completely by his graciousness and genuine sincerity . Every person who walked out after meeting him said the same things: he's so kind, he's friendly, he's so nice! (And he has miles of charm to boot!) I am very grateful to my Meghan who paid for this opportunity and let me come along for the ride. It was marvelous to experience this with her sweet spirit and soak in a little of Matt's essence along the way. I am also grateful to a husband who supports my geekiness, ignores my flaws, shows me the light within myself, and realizes he will always be my number one!

2 comments:

  1. Heather you definitely shine brightly 💟. I also love your pure goodness, childlike faith and a love of all things beautiful. You my friend are beautiful indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are always so kind to me Lainie. Your light can be seen from afar. I love it and I love you!!

    ReplyDelete